Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Blog4 - Education and the World Wide Web

CPALMs Standard + Online Tool
I chose a standard from the science category for 2nd grade. The standard I chose is SC.2.P.8 and it deals with properties of matter. The standard says "A. All objects and substances in the world are made of matter. Matter has two fundamental properties: matter takes up space and matter has mass.B. Objects and substances can be classified by their physical and chemical properties.
Mass is the amount of matter (or "stuff") in an object. Weight, on the other hand, is the measure of force of attraction (gravitational force) between an object and Earth." Some of the access points for this standard discuss identifying matter as solids, liquids, or gases, so I decided to find an online activity involving this topic. I found an interactive lesson with an assessment game at the end here: http://www.abcya.com/states_of_matter.htm. I would use this site after my initial lesson so the students have a fun and more individually engaging way of reinforcing the material in the lesson. I enjoy the assessment at the end because the students get to interact with a webpage to drag and drop the different examples into their correct category instead of simply circling a multiple choice answer. I imagine that students will enjoy this version of an assessment because of the positive feedback they get visually and audibly from the website when they get an answer right. This online activity falls under the category of 'academic software,' and more specifically 'educational games.'







from abcya.com

Experience with Internet-based Resources
Throughout my educational career, especially in middle school and beyond, navigating the internet on my own to find resources became a central point of my work. When looking for news articles, the first thing I do is look for a website name I recognize as a reputable source (i.e. New York Times, Huffington Post, etc.). When I'm looking for information that isn't necessarily from a news source, I always pay attention to the layout of a website before reading further into its information. A website that is poorly designed and hard to read is a red flag for me because I feel like any place with high quality information will have a team member (or the ability to hire someone) who can create a well-designed web page. The ABCDT acronym from the podcast is something that brought more great tools for evaluation to my attention. 'A' stands for author and the podcast brings up the point "Can you contact the author if you have questions?" which I have never thought about when looking at online sources before. 'B' stands for bias which isn't something that I always pay attention to, but when I've worked on persuasive essays in the past I looked for biased articles on both sides of the issue for supporting my own side and having a good counterargument, as well as making sure I have neutral resources for understanding the issue. 'C' stands for content and the podcast mentions looking for content with correct grammar and spelling and content that is current. These are both things that I always look for. 'D' stands for design, which is something I definitely pay attention to, as I mentioned in the beginning. 'T' stands for technical elements which I believe ties in to my comment at the beginning about a well-designed site. I website that is well designed will have functioning links and an easily navigable layout. The podcast also brings up the importance of making sure a URL matches the type of site you're looking to visit, For example, if you're looking to end up on the website of a government group, make you type or click the address including .gov, because sometimes the same URL name with a different domain extension could be something very different than what you're looking for!
The one thing that stood out to me while working on the Webhunt assignment was the Google search tool of being able to set a custom range of publishing dates for the results that show up. That's something I've never noticed on Google before, but is very useful to know about!
1. You want to find an interactive lesson about volcanoes for your students. Can you find a website that will provide this?
Webhunt
My Webhunt Challenge
2. Find an article about the cultural effects of the Harry Potter franchise. 
3. You want your students to find a piece of news about the effects of global warming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment