Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Blog1 - Technology Standards in the Classroom

Computers in the Educational Experience 
I think the #1 reason that computers are such an important part of classrooms nowadays is because they are an even more important part of the everyday lives of most people. Technology has become so accessible in recent years that it has become necessary for educational environments to follow its development. For example, the book references the fact that the "3Rs" (reading, writing, and arithmetic) are no longer sufficient for fostering a well-rounded education in the 21st century -- teachers must also incorporate the 4Cs of critical thinking, communication, collaboration, and creativity from the Partnership for 21st Century Learning. These are the broader reasons that technology is vital in the classroom, but there's a very individualistic side to its benefits as well. Creating a lesson that gets through to each student's own learning style is a struggle for educators. Children can be visual, verbal, or kinesthetic learners, so addressing just one of those styles in a lesson wouldn't be wholly effective, but addressing all three styles would take time that is simply not available in most cases. Utilizing the multitude of educational tools found online is an extremely beneficial way for students to get one-on-one time with material working at their own pace and in their own learning style.
Of course, there are concerns when it comes to integrating new technologies into classrooms. Funding is probably the most prevalent concerns that educators and administrators have -- how can we provide the proper amount of computers with up to date software? I believe that spending the money on school computers will be a money-saver in the long run. Having computers or tablets in the classroom can eliminate the need for physical textbooks (a cheaper and more environmentally conscious option). Having computers can also open up the possibility for performing science experiments that have many expensive materials, because the experiments can be performed virtually instead. Another issue for many educators, is the fact that they don't possess the skill set needed for fusing these new teaching styles with the traditional ones they've been used to for decades. Teaching the teachers is very important! Many workshops are at their disposal; those who may refuse to acquire these new skills will end up being replaced by technologically inclined teachers.

ISTE Standards
The ISTE Standard that resonates with me most is 2c under the Student Standards which reads, "Develop cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with learners of other cultures." I think it is so important to be culturally aware, and I think it's a great idea to start fostering that awareness in students at a young age. The internet is a great tool for this because facts, photos, videos, etc. about any country or city are at the tips of our fingers. The internet is truly a window to the world. The ability to communicate with people around the world via chat rooms or discussion board threads is an incredible way to get first hand accounts of what other cultures are like. Awareness of other cultures is the first step to understanding and acceptance.
I suppose that the ISTE Standard that I feel goes beyond my current skill set is number 5 in the Teacher Standards. The points listed in number 5 go beyond the walls of your classroom and seem a bit intimidating for someone who is not yet an experienced educator. I consider myself very comfortable with technology and am excited by the possibilities it brings to a classroom, but "contribute to the effectiveness, vitality, and self-renewal of the teaching profession..."sounds like big shoes to fill.

Digital Natives












Someone that is considered a "digital native" has a natural comfort with technology because it has been around for most, if not all, of what they can remember of their lives. I think that this is an accurate term for describing today's youth. Having been born in 1995 and practically developing alongside the internet and modern communication/information technologies, I am a digital native and identify rather proudly with that term. I think technology is great! I'd say there is a glaring difference in the way and most of the teachers I've had use technology, mostly in speed and creativity. Because most of my teachers had already been well-versed in other teaching methods by the time technology came around, it was harder for them to adjust to integrating them into their lessons. A lot of my older teachers would navigate their computers at an almost painful pace. They weren't familiar with any hotkeys or used the "hunt and poke" one-finger method for typing (and even thought they had to include "http://www." in every web address they typed out). You could also see a clear difference in the level of creativity in a PowerPoint made a teacher and one made by a student. Teachers generally used the standard template and that was all, whereas students would change colors and fonts, add pictures, transitions, and even animations to different components of each slide. While I don't anticipate the gap in knowledge being quite as big between my future self and students, I'm sure there will be things they'll be more familiar with than I am. I think the gap will be closer though because my growing up with the evolution of technology has made my interested in each new step in the evolution so I think I will always keep up with what is new and I'll have the years of knowledge that will help me to quickly acquaint myself with new technologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment